Thursday, June 4, 2009

Passport Crazziness

Unfortunately the deadline has come and I have yet to locate my passport. :( My appointment was at one of the very few offices in the country for 12:30 so I figured I would get there early to not delay the process. To my surprise getting my passport would be like the long yard dash with several hurdles to successfully jump before I would be able to cross the finish line. The entrance was blocked by several security guards preparing people to go through a metal detector. It was as if we were boarding a plane for Europe already. To my disappointment when I rounded the corner to my destination I was welcomed by a large line. This is when I would meet my companion for the remainder of the afternoon. Her passport had expired and she needed a new one because her flight leaves next week to Jordan where her family lives. She was American born but its been about 10 years since her last visit to 100+ first cousins! During her visit she'll go see Lebanon and visit some of the more cultural spots. We were both very naive at the passport process because we had both driven down on our lunch breaks thinking that we would be issued a passport in less than an hour since we had an appointment and all. Ha... it took us about an hour just to get checked in! I highly suggest if anyone ever has to do this either go really early in the morning or just wait until late afternoon. Lunch time is by far the worst time to go!!! As I was being checked in I was a little concerned because my driver's license did not have my current address (the update PennDot gave me was lost w/ my passport.) The supervisor had to be called over to accept my picture because apparently you can't be smiling, your head needs to be straight and the color was too light. Luckily for me she said that it would be fine. As the woman reviewed my birth certificate I had to take a deep breath because it was so tattered that she were unsure if they could accept it! (For a few bucks you can have your birth certificate mailed to you, I soo should have done that!) After I was approved I was given a number (123) and told to wait. I looked at the board that read 88. I figured no big deal another hour and I'll be out of here, so as I took my seat my companion followed. We talked of each other's jobs and took bets on who long this process would be when a gentleman to our left began to laugh. We both hesitated before we could ask anything, he said, "I hope you guys don't expect to go back to work today, I've been here since 9am and I still haven't had my number called!" The girl and I took a deep breath as we looked at each other, we both needed to make some phone calls. An hour went by and the number had only reached 95, by this time the three of us had gotten to know each other pretty well. The gentleman that had joined our conversation was from NJ and spoke four languages. He travels for his work and had recently had his identity stolen so he had to bring his yearbook and other documents to confirm his identity. When 96 rolled around it was his number, he eagerly deserted us. After a few more moments, my companion and I had moved to the other side of the room where an older gentleman sat. He had arrived at 1pm so he had to wait a little longer than us. Talking to him was fascinating as well, his travels were to China for business. He told us of stories from previous excursions and which airlines were his favorite, apparently Chinese airlines are very hospitable. My companion and I watched the numbers slowly climb until it finally reached 123! 10 minutes later I was home free, the clerk accepted my forms, ID, and itinerary. Unfortunately, had I waited until the week of the trip I would have been able to receive my passport immediately. Instead I have to wait to receive my passport in the mail by June 10th, which is calling it very close because I leave Philadelphia June 11th! Four hours later and $160 lighter; a few more meters (days) and I will be able to cross that finish line...

Silverlining... I live near the Passport Agency, I have a passport, I met some cool people and I learned what to do in the event that I loose my passport or birth certificate!

No comments:

Post a Comment